domingo, 1 de marzo de 2009

Vector linux 6.0 in my Acer Aspire One

I recently bought an AAO, that came with linpus (a very visual distro without much features, but I suppose nice for people that doesn't expect much from their AAO).

Last week, when I got a bootable usb to repartition my AAO hd I installed arch in one partition and from arch, I could install vectorlinux from arch partition doing a hosted install. I'm going to explain how to do a hosted install. Very easy:

First you should have a working linux (with 2.6.x kernel, forget DSL) and a free unmounted partition. Vl installer will be able to recognize unmounted partitions.

- Get an vl iso (wget http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-Gold.iso will do)

- When its done, mount it in a temporary directory somewhere

mount -o loop VL6.0-STD-Gold.iso tmpdir
- Copy vinstall-iso file to anywhere outside the tmpdir

cp tmpdir/install/vinstall-iso .

- unmount tmpdir

umount tmpdir
- as root, execute vinstall-iso with vl iso as a parameter

./vinstall-iso VL6.0-STD-Gold.iso
- Install starts normally (text installer)
1) choose the correct screen resolution (for 8.9" screens)
2) lilo didn't see archlinux, so I decided not installing lilo, and just modify archlinux's grub menu.lst file

After installing vl normally, you can reboot, and start using vl.

Warning:

Wifi led is software controlled, and won't tell you if wifi is on/off. vl can use wireless out of the box. If it does not work, push the wifi switch until it works (you won't need more than 2 tries)

Some more comments on http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7330.0

Have fun with a fully working vector linux installed on your aspire one.

Wireless -> ok
Webcam -> ok
Sound -> ok

No hay comentarios: